Monday, May 23, 2011

Nimes

That guy really deflated my good mood. I felt invincible in Avignon as I ran around with my camera taking pictures of the beauty in everything around me. But this asshole changed all that. It's not what he said, it's how incredibly vulnerable it made me feel and I just can't shake the feeling. I'm afraid Nimes is just going be a little less magical for me. Well, it's that or maybe this city is just a little less impressive. The big sites here are the Colosseum, a forum, a watch tower, and a few temples from back when Nimes was a Roman colony. Everything is very well preserved, and you can actually get into everything and it's not swarming with people like some other touristy cities which is really nice. Still, for someone like me with less of an interest in Roman history, when I do want to experience it I'll go for the big sites in Rome. I kind of feel like if Nimes were a person, it would be jumping around, waving it's arms shouting "Look at me! I have Roman Ruins! Isn't that COOL?!" Although I'm still very happy that I am able to see this city.

The hostel is up on a hill again (why do I keep choosing these places?) just on the outskirts of town. It's a hassle to get to especially when I have my backpack, but it has a nice garden area and feels like a welcoming home. The hostel has goats for some reason, and this morning they were head butting each other while I was eating breakfast which provided endless entertainment. One of them also ate my paper/metal butter wrapper when the wind blew it off the table.

Anyways, another disappointment is that my time in Nimes falls on a Sunday. I have the time to do everything today, but no buses run out to Pont du Gard, a famous Roman aqueduct. I have an early train reservation that I already booked to Marseille tomorrow morning, and I hope to spend the afternoon there before taking the three hour train ride to Nice for my hostel. Oh well. I suppose missing Pont du Gard only gives me an excuse to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment