Friday, May 27, 2011

Carcassonne

From the train station, Carcassonne seems to be just another European town. All the euro style buildings, narrow streets, and cafes lining the sidewalks are great, but for a tourist hungry for the spectacular, this town does not look promising.

Carcassonne was recommended to me by my friend Kate, so I added it to my itinerary and booked a hostel. I'm very glad I did. A short ten minute walk from the centre of town brings you to the amazing Old Town, which is a small, well fortified fortress complete with a castle that has been built and remodelled again and again throughout the past thousand years or so although the area has been occupied for a lot longer than that.

My first few minutes in the town were great and my eyes just feasted on the medieval wonders around me, but all I was really thinking about was the sweet relief of the cool wind against my skin that meant finally, finally for the first time in two weeks, I was not sweating. There is too much Canadian in me to fully enjoy the endless sun and warmth of the Mediterranean. Bring it on, wind! I'd love to finally use my sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment