Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nice Market

Dozens of outdoor patios that filled the long street of Cours Saleya last night have disappeared and been replaced with the long tables of the morning market vendors in Nice. The market has pretty much everything you could need with fresh fruits and vegetables in one area, meat and fish in another, and tables full of spices from around the world displayed in bulk, waiting for you to fill up a bag. There is no plain salt or pepper, but mixes of everything together in different combinations that create lovely patterns for the eyes to look at. It's also making me want to cook.

The pathway of the flower section becomes more narrow as the overhead striped canopies join together so that no direct sunlight can wilt the flowers. The top covering keeps the wonderful smell of fresh petals contained in the area, and I have to remind myself I have no where to keep a bouquet of flowers.

I can't walk away with nothing though, so I pick up a small box of strawberries and start eating as I continue down the market. They are literally melting in my mouth. Why can't everything taste this good?

No comments:

Post a Comment